Residential & Commercial Pest Control Issues in Camden
As a port city along the Delaware River, Camden, NJ, has its share of pest-related problems. Waterfront attractions, such as the USS New Jersey and the Adventure Aquarium, draw tourists all year long. A dense population, Philadelphian commuters, visitors, and the litter all three produce, contribute to the area’s insect and rodent issues.
The Port of Camden is one of the country’s largest shipping centers. Insects and rodents can cause problems along every part of the supply chain, which brings them into neighborhoods like Cherry Hill and Haddonfield. Also, Southern New Jersey’s hot, humid summers and mild winters offer the perfect conditions for pests to breed and maintain a constant presence.
Common Pests in Camden, New Jersey
While some pests are just a nuisance, certain insects and rodents can cause serious problems in homes and businesses. A few pests Camden residents may encounter include:
- Mosquitoes – These winged insects thrive near water and reproduce in ponds as well as birdbaths. Rain-filled dumpsters behind shops and malls in Camden are common breeding grounds. Female mosquitoes need blood meals to lay their eggs, and their bites can transmit diseases like West Nile virus.
- Ants – Ants enter Camden, NJ, buildings in search of food, so bakeries, restaurants, and school cafeterias are prime targets. Infestations start when these pests crawl through cracks in building exteriors and gaps around windows and doorways. While all ants are a nuisance, carpenter ants also tunnel through damp wood, such as decks or fencing, often resulting in costly repairs.
- Termites – Termites feed on tree stumps, wooden fixtures, and underground roots. Given the opportunity, the insects will enter homes and office buildings, too. Termite colonies left unchecked can cause severe structural damage to Camden homes, apartment complexes, and other facilities over time.
- Bed Bugs – Bed bugs hide in mattress seams and along the inside of bed frames. At night, these pests leave their hideaways to feed on human blood so they can reproduce. New Jersey hotel rooms, public lobbies, waiting rooms, rental cars, and theater seats are hot spots for bed bug infestations.
- Rodents – While some rodents prefer forests and fields, others have adapted to urban areas like Lindenwold and Voorhees Township. These pests often nest in wall voids, crawl spaces, basements, and large appliances like ovens or dryers. Rodents also chew on wiring, which can cause power outages and even fires.
Pests around Camden Homes
Pest issues in or around Camden, New Jersey, occur both inside and outside the home. Woodpiles stacked against the house are a food source for termites, and kiddie pools, backyard toys, and tires filled with standing water can contain mosquito eggs. Also, be sure to check your luggage and clothing for bed bugs after staying at a hotel, and inspect items picked up at a yard sale or secondhand store before bringing them – and a possible bed bug – into your home.
Pests that Affect Businesses in Camden, NJ
A pest problem can easily disrupt the day-to-day operation of a New Jersey business. Whether it’s a colony of ants invading sugary foods at a supermarket or mosquitoes making diners and wait staff miserable at a riverside eatery, customers and employees are often the first to notice. Pests in Camden businesses can lead to contaminated goods, unsafe work conditions, and poor customer reviews.
Avoiding Pest Infestations in Camden
Since pests reproduce quickly, spotting even a single rat, bed bug, or termite indoors is cause for concern. By the time you notice one of these nuisances, odds are good the problem has become a full-blown infestation. This is especially true for apartments, condos, offices, and shops near the waterfront, since the high volume of tourists, and the garbage and litter they produce, attract more pests.
Sealing any cracks in your building’s foundation, repairing leaking pipes, and storing food in air-tight containers helps deter insects and rodents. If you work or live close to the Delaware River, pay extra attention to doors and windows to ensure there are no gaps or openings that could allow mosquitoes and other insects inside.
It is vital to address pest problems at the first sign of trouble, before an insect or rodent infestation gets out of hand. Contact Western Pest Services to consult with an expert and get your questions answered. Our team of professionals will inspect your Camden, NJ, property and give you the best pest removal options for your home or business.