Residential & Commercial Pest Control Issues in Edison
With its rich local history, Edison, NJ, is one of the many bright spots of the Garden State. Home to more than 100,000 residents, as well as hundreds of businesses and restaurants, this township prides itself on being one of the best places to live in the entire country. People have taken notice, but unfortunately pest issues are on the rise, too.
Thriving businesses, bustling commuters, and college students all contribute to the area’s growing economy as well as its insect and rodent problems. Tourists coming to see popular attractions, such as the Thomas Edison Museum, can also bring unwanted visitors like bed bugs into local hotels.
Common Pests in Edison, NJ
- Cockroaches – These insects thrive in warm, damp settings. They sneak into homes and businesses through drains, sewer pipes, and small crevices. Cockroaches often spread the bacteria that cause salmonellosis. Proteins in their bodies and cast-off skins can also trigger allergic and asthmatic reactions.
- Mosquitoes – Often found near bodies of water such as lakes and ponds, mosquitoes also reproduce in standing pools like those in birdbaths and clogged gutters. These small, biting pests leave itchy, red bumps after they draw blood. Mosquitoes can transmit diseases like West Nile virus through their bites.
- Mice – Able to get into buildings through holes smaller than a dime, these pests cause problems for Edison home and business owners alike. They invade pantries and storage areas, contaminate food with their droppings, and can transmit diseases to humans. Mice may also gnaw on wiring, which can be a serious fire hazard.
- Rats – These rodents enter buildings through small holes, sewers, toilets, and broken drains. Rats often make their way indoors in search of easy meals or shelter. In addition to contaminating food and surfaces, they may also bite and scratch when threatened.
- Termites – A nuisance to residents throughout the Mountainside area, these insects feed on timber, wooden decks, fences, and tree stumps. If left unchecked, termite infestations can cause serious structural damage to residences and commercial spaces.
- Carpenter Ants – While several types of ants call New Jersey home, this species is especially troublesome. As the name suggests, carpenter ants spend most of their time tunneling through wood to build their nests. Seeing piles of debris, also known as frass, beneath wood furniture or joists is a sign of infestation.
Pest Control for Edison Businesses
Whether you’re a storekeeper in Edison or a property manager in Atlantic City, your business may be at risk for insect and rodent infestation. Grocery stores and markets contend with pests brought in through product shipments. Hotel dining areas and restaurants attract pests from food odors and leftover crumbs on tables and floors. Open windows and standing water also draw unwanted visitors indoors.
Pest sightings are bad for business. Unhappy customers can leave bad reviews, which can lead to a drop in sales and revenue. It doesn’t matter if you manage a franchise or own your own local shop in Edison, you and your employees should be on the lookout for pests in these areas:
- Kitchens and food storage areas – Many pests scavenge for food in pantries, kitchens, and dining rooms. You may also find cockroaches and other insects hiding out under appliances such as stoves, ice makers, and sinks.
- Drains, sinks, and stagnant water – Many types of insects gravitate toward warm, damp areas. Drains and sewers are easy access points for rodents. Also, still water in birdbaths, rain barrels, and even large puddles in a parking lot can serve as a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Open windows, doors, and crevices – Insects fly into Edison shops, restaurants, and other commercial spaces as customers come and go throughout the day. Trash bins and dumpsters often encourage flying pests to hover near entrances. Small insects, such as ants and cockroaches, often get inside buildings through cracks in the foundation.
Pest Prevention in Northern New Jersey
An effective first step toward pest prevention requires a proactive approach. While different species of rodents and insects have a range of attractors, there are several things you can do to help mitigate pest issues in and around Edison, NJ:
- Keep it clean – Sweeping up leftover crumbs and using sealed food storage containers prevent odors from attracting pests. Clearing up brush piles in the yard and cleaning up debris around outdoor garbage bins deter mice, rats, and other nuisances from nesting and feeding near buildings.
- Seal cracks and close gaps – Cracks and crevices in building exteriors give pests easy access to Edison homes and businesses. Repair foundation damage, fix gaps around door and window frames, replace torn screens, and take action when tenants or employees report similar issues.
- Fix leaking pipes and faucets – Leaky pipes and faucets provide pests with a steady water source. Repairing plumbing problems and insulating water pipes encourages mice, rats, and insects to look elsewhere when they need a drink.
Contact a Professional
Home and business owners in Edison, NJ, or Woodbridge Township dealing with problem pests often need professional assistance. To combat insects or rodents in residential or commercial spaces, contact the experts at Western Pest Services.