Residential & Commercial Pest Control Issues in Paterson
As one of the most densely populated places in the state, Paterson, NJ, has plenty of residences and businesses to attract pests looking for food or shelter. Unfortunately, aging and historic buildings that pre-date modern pest prevention make it even easier for insects and rodents to move in and take hold.
Paterson’s proximity to New York City can also affect the number of local pests. Workers who commute to the Big Apple might bring home an infestation when certain insects, such as bed bugs, hitch a ride. The area is also adjacent to dozens of lakes, making it a prime target for water-loving nuisances.
Residents, business owners, and property managers in Paterson, Clifton, and Paramus should be on the lookout for pests. These insects and rodents can damage structures and cause illnesses. Check out this breakdown of pests found in the area, how to avoid infestations, and what to do if you have one.
Common Pests in Paterson Homes and Businesses
Whether they cause property damage, health issues, or they’re just plain unsettling, insects and rodents can cause several problems for Paterson citizens. Here are a few of the most common pests you may come across:
- Ants are a problem for many home and business owners near Paterson, especially in urban areas. Black carpenter ants are troublesome, as they can cause structural harm by chewing their way into wood to make nests.
- Mosquitoes thrive during the warm and wet months. In addition to causing itching, in rare cases their bites can transmit diseases like malaria, dengue fever, and even West Nile virus.
- Cockroach infestations are also common in cities such as Paterson. The brown, flat-bodied insects can crawl in through narrow cracks in walls and foundation. This pest can contaminate food and surfaces with germs that cause illnesses, as well as trigger allergies and asthma in some people.
- /pest-control/bed-bugs/ also create difficulties for residents and businesses. They enter buildings by clinging onto clothes and furniture to travel from one place to another. Because of this, hotels and second-hand stores are especially vulnerable. Although they do not cause infections, bed bugs can leave irritating bites on the skin.
- Rodent infestations happen wherever they can find an easy food source, like home pantries and restaurant stock rooms. Rats and mice are dangerous because some species can spread harmful diseases such as hantavirus, salmonellosis, and many others.
Termite colonies can cause issues when these insects eat wooden framework, drywall, and other materials. These pests can live in the ground or in buildings undetected for quite some time, resulting in the need for thousands of dollars in repairs before you even know you have a problem.
New Pest Problems in New Jersey
In recent years, two invasive pests have begun to cause problems for the citizens of New Jersey. The spotted lanternfly and Asian longhorned beetle both attack plants, causing major damage. They can affect the trees that line the street, the flowerbeds in front of your home, or your backyard garden.
These pests reproduce rapidly, spread quickly, and hurt plant populations throughout the area – especially fruit trees, vines, and bushes. If you think you’ve seen these insects around your home or business, it’s best to call a pest control professional as soon as possible to address the issue.
Moisture attracts insects and rodents, so Paterson business and homeowners should always repair leaks and wipe up excess liquids to reduce the likelihood of a pest infestation. You should also check under stairs, sinks, and other damp or sheltered places. To ward off mosquitoes, drain and maintain containers that hold standing water like flower pots and birdbaths.
Cleanliness is key to keeping pests away. Sweep up crumbs or spills to remove potential food sources. You should also clean up clutter where mice may move in. Finally, tidy up any debris around the exterior to prevent animals from nesting or burrowing around or into your home.
One of the most important ways to keep pests out is to close up any cracks on the outside of your building. Make sure doors and windows seal tightly and screens are free of tears or holes. Inspect everywhere that utility pipes and wires connect to the building and fill all cracks to prevent entry.
What to Do If You Have a Pest Problem in Paterson
If you suspect you have an infestation of any kind, you should contact a trustworthy pest removal company like Western Pest Services. Our expert technicians can investigate your property and come up with a plan to effectively rid your Paterson, New Jersey, home or business of pests.