Thinking about an upgrade in home energy-efficiency? Now is the time to act. The federal government, with the passage of the a fiscal bill on January 1st 2013, has reinstated credits for upgrades like home insulation. If you have been waiting to implement money-saving insulation, now is a smart time to do your research. You could earn up to $500 back on your tax bill.
Rewarding Home Energy Efficiency
Known in the industry as 25C, the new tax credits are found in Sec. 401, paragraph 2 of section 25C of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 H.R. 8. The motion reinstates the credits for home-energy improvements through the end of 2013, and is good news for those looking to green up their homes while saving a little green. Even better, the tax credit applies to purchases made in 2012 and 2013. (The original credit had expired December 31, 2011.)
In addition to insulation, other green-friendly home upgrades are included, including certain HVAC systems, metal and asphalt roofs, non-solar water heaters, and other items. (Get complete details here.)
Do You Qualify for the Insulation Tax Credit?
As with anything, there are a few stipulations around the new credits. Here’s what you need to know:
- Purchases of qualifying home insulation made in 2012 or 2013 may be eligible
- The credit covers “10% of cost up to $500 or a specific amount from $50–$300”
- The home must be your existing primary residence – no rentals or new construction
- Western’s ThermoZone® Attic Insulation Program qualifies under the program
A complete list of FAQs about energy-efficient tax credits can be found on the Energy Star website.
Western’s ThermoZone® Attic Insulation Program
There are a few things you should know as you set out to choose a home insulation product. Firstly, the higher the R-value (or thermal resistance) of your insulation, the better it protects your home. It’s also good to note that some insulation offerings have added benefits. Western’s Thermozone® Attic Insulation Program is:
- Energy Star-rated: Save up to 30% on your home energy costs
- Made from recycled newsprint: A greener choice
- Enhanced with pest-control benefits: Western’s attic insulation includes insulation material that helps to control self-grooming insects, ants, cockroaches, etc.
- A human- and pet-friendly choice: All-natural boric acid, an EPA-labeled pest-control material, has been rigorously tested
- Treated to be fire-retardant: For extra safety
- A noise reducer: Good insulation helps dampen noise
Get a Free Home Energy Audit
With so many advanced, energy-efficient products on the market, there’s no reason to let your hard-earned money escape through the roof. Learn more about Western’s Thermozone® Attic Insulation Program. Then call 1-866-712-6573 for a free home energy audit.