Residential & Commercial Pest Control Issues in Bridgeport
Located on the Long Island Sound, Bridgeport, Connecticut, is the state’s biggest city and the fifth largest in all of New England. Easy access to the water and a temperate climate make this seaport town a popular choice for residents. Close proximity to New York City means tourists often come to visit local attractions. Many colleges and companies call the area home as well.
However, the nearby coast and large population around nearby Norwalk, CT, also allow pests to thrive. The area provides plenty of food, hiding places, and ideal breeding conditions for many species. This causes big problems for businesses and those that live there, including health risks and potential for property damage.
Common Connecticut Pests
People near Bridgeport and Stamford, CT, should be on the lookout for frequent invaders like:
- Rodents – Mice and Norway rats sneak indoors through small openings and often make homes by foundations or in hidden spots like storage boxes or cabinets. They chew on and destroy the wiring and structural parts of buildings. They also contaminate food and living spaces around Bridgeport with their urine and droppings.
- Cockroaches – These insects emit a foul-smelling oil and carry filth as they crawl around. This can damage items like fabric and book bindings and ruin food. They prefer the dark and hide in areas near drains, inside cupboards, and underneath furniture or appliances. Some people are allergic to cockroaches and can become ill from an infestation.
- Mosquitoes – Mosquitoes need water to breed and females use the protein from the blood of people and animals when laying their eggs. There are over 50 different species found in and around Bridgeport, Connecticut. Diseases like malaria, viral encephalitis, and yellow fever can spread between hosts when they feed, making people and animals very sick.
Pest Control for Businesses in Bridgeport
Pests can also be an issue for local Bridgeport companies. In office buildings, cockroaches and other insects may frighten workers or customers who spot them in break rooms or bathrooms. Patients and staff at Waterbury’s many healthcare facilities could get ill from contact with soiled supplies or contaminated food.
Managers and employees around Bridgeport should keep their eyes open in these places for signs of a problem:
- Kitchens, Break rooms & Warehouses: Rodents and cockroaches often seek out things to eat in storage areas and hide in the corners of cupboards and under sinks. Restaurant pantries, cafeterias, and grocery stores around Bridgeport may have their products ruined by their chewing or waste.
- Trash Cans and Dumpsters: Garbage makes an ideal source of food for mice, rats, and many insects, including flies and ants. Spills outside of dumpsters and in open bins can attract nuisance wildlife as well.
- Standing Water: Swimming pools and rain collecting in the bottoms of outdoor containers creates ideal breeding areas for mosquitoes and provides drinking water for other pests. Recycling bins, bird baths, empty flower pots, and even old tires can hold enough liquid to cause issues.
The Bad News About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are small brown parasites that hide in cracks and crevices near where people sleep. Their bites leave itchy red marks on skin that can lead to allergic reactions or infections from scratching. Places where lots of people stay, like the dorms of New Haven colleges, can develop infestations. Bridgeport hotels may lose business as well if tourists learn they have a bug bed problem.
Pest Solutions and Prevention
There are many things companies and those living near Bridgeport, Connecticut, can do to help keep these pests from becoming an issue. Some examples include:
- Eliminate food and water sources. Empty and clean trash receptacles often and check that they have tight fitting covers. Fix leaky plumbing and drain unused wading pools and planters. Pick up pet dishes between meals as well.
- Seal off potential entrances. Keep window screens and door thresholds in good repair. Fill any openings where pipes enter the building and inspect deliveries, boxes, and luggage for hitchhiking pests like bed bugs or cockroaches.
- Clean up clutter. Messy environments provide shelter that allow insects and rodents to hide. Living and storage areas should be tidy and organized. Pull furniture and appliances away from walls to sweep up the debris that can collect in corners and crevices.
If you live or own a business in Bridgeport, CT, or surrounding cities like Stamford or Norwalk, and think you may have an issue, reach out to Western Pest Services for help. Our team of trained professionals will visit your location and provide solutions for any current infestations. We can also recommend a prevention program customized to fit your home or business’s unique needs.